Sites and tourist areas in Naples and Campania
Museo di Capodimonte
Reachable with the Metropolitana Line 2 and bus
Capodimonte was designed and constructed by the Borbonians in 1738 as a royal museum. The Farnese collection, the essential core, included over 1,700 paintings at the end of the 17th century together with other decorative arts just as impressive and priceless. It displays master works by Masaccio, Botticelli, Perugino, Bellini, Tiziano, Parmigianino, Bruegel, Carracci, Guido Reni, Carvaggio, and Giordano.
In the course of the 19th century, the museum became rich from other important sections such as the collections from the Borbone family, paintings and precious objects from closed down monasteries, royal and private donations, and from successive acquisitions; and of course the master works by the Cardinal Stefano Borgia (bought by Ferdinando I of Borbone in 1817), Egyptian, Etruscan, Greek, and Roman antiquities among which is the famous Globo celeste (The Heavenly Globe).
Reachable by the Metropolitana Line 2
The building that currently houses the museum first started out as a riding school in 1586. Then in 1612, Don Pedro Fernando de Castro, viceroy of Naples, gave the responsibility of designing the new site of the university to the architect Giulio Cesare.
The building was then tranformed at the end of the 18th century into the “Real Museo” by the architect Pompeo Schiantarelli which held the collections of relics from Ercolano, Pompei and Stabia. In fact, Ferdinando IV of Borbone also moved the art gallery of Capodimonte and collections from the royal villa of Portici and the Cardinal Stefano Borgia.
In 1957, (after the Borbonian library was moved into the Palazzo Reale and entitled to Vittorio Emanuele II, the art gallery in the Palazzo di Capodimonte) the museum had been destined to the collections of antiquity.
Città della Scienza
The “City of Science” is the first Italian science center and born in the 90s under the order of the foundation IDIS in the post-industrial area of Bagnoli, one of the most beautiful zones of Naples which is open to the gulf of Pozzuoli. The science center is in the precise location of a former iron factory with exhibitions and research structures that are progressively adding on to the already growing center.
The center develops on an area of 12,000 square meters on which one can find the exhibition area (the permanent exhibition consisting of five sections), laboratories and a planetarium (the largest of the mid-south).
The first railway station of Naples and Italy was constructed in 1836 under the order of Ferdinando II of Borbone nearby the current site of the Station Circumvesuviana. In the year 1866 the station was already moved to its current site, and immediately the station set itself up as the center of life, movement, and business affairs in the city of Naples. Born from the design of the architect and town planner Enrico Alvino in the environment of one study for the reorganization of the fabric of the town, the station became the pivotal location for the entire surrounding area.
Originally, the station consisted of three hinged-together pavilions: the ticket counter in the middle and on either side was the baggage drop off and bar. The inside structure was in the form of star and was surrounded by a garden. With a progressive expansion of traffic determined the necessity of taking another look at the location of the station and to designate ampler spaces for the circulation of the surrounding area.
Between the years 1954 and 1960, the 18th century station was demolished to make the 250 meters worth of space needed for the new travel center that now defines the current arrangement of Piazza Garibaldi. The blueprints of the station (a fusion of three different winning designs from a competition in 1954) are today characterized from a particular structural conception and modeled on a triangular matrix.
page 1 of 8 >