Sites and tourist areas in Naples and Campania
Centro Direzionale di Napoli
The project, approved in 1983 and realized by the Japanese engineer Kenzo Tange, sees the division in two distinct levels: vehicle traffic and pedestrian traffic. The first level concentrates in the underground level where you can also find parking, while the spacious streets up above are reserved exclusively for pedestrians. The area is divided into eighteen islands and the constructions are classified into two categories: walk-ways and towers.
Actually, the erection of the center is only 50% complete, to a limited extent of the western half of the project, but the plans for the continuation of the project are in progress.
San Domenico Maggiore, chiesa e piazza
The support of the Angioini and other various dynasties permitted to the Dominicans to carry out, with continuous renovations, one of the most complex, vast and rich of the monasteries of the city, and also the residence of the first university of Naples.
The inside contains three naves that take back the typical gothic style that are present in other churches by the Angioini. But the classic spaciousness is a result dramatic change from the 19th century restoration (1850-53) by Federico Travaglini, the man who proposes a neo-gothic taste that was very widespread in Europe those years. Then a transformation of the roof followed by a gilded covering of the arches and the capitals obtained an appearance far away from any gothic characteristic.
The chapel Brancaccio deserves a particular attention. The frescoes by Pietro Cavallini (1309) give the idea of a church of the 14th century.
In the chapel of the crucifix, Christ spoke with St. Thomas of Aquino according to tradition.
In the sacristy, there are 45 coffins containing the remains of the Aragonian kings, and people such as Don Ferrante d’Avalos, husband of Vittoria Colonna, who won and captured Francesco I of Valois in Pavia. The church kept, up until a few years ago, the famous Flagellazione del Caravaggio (The Flogging of Caravaggio). Today it is in Capodimonte, but one can still see the copy of the painting by the celebrated Andrea Vaccaro.
At the famous piazza are formed the Five: the apse of the church, the palaces of the Petruccis (with catalana stairs), Casacalendo (a work by Vanvitelli and Gioffredo), Corigliano and de Sangro. At the center of the piazza rises up the guglia of marble erected after the plague of 1656 designed by Francesco Antonio Picchiatti and finished in 1737 by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro.
Chiesa del Carmine e Piazza Mercato
It dominates the zone that was the battlegrounds of the Revolution of Masaniello (1647). It already existed in the 12th century as a little church with the image of the Madonna called “La Bruna.” It was redone between the years of 1283 and 1300 with the money that the Queen Elisabetta of Baviera had given for the redemption of her son, Corradino of Svevia. Unfortunately the young prince had already been judged in the Piazza Mercato and the money was destined to go to the expansion of the church that holds his tomb.
To the right of the façade is the nimble bell with a singular cusp of tiled majolica from Fra’ Nuvolo (the first half of 17th century). Every year on the 15th of July, the anniversary of the Madonna of Carmine, one can see the bell lit up with fireworks.