Hotel Europeo e Flowers: Touristic areas
Reachable by the Metropolitana Line 2
The building that currently houses the museum first started out as a riding school in 1586. Then in 1612, Don Pedro Fernando de Castro, viceroy of Naples, gave the responsibility of designing the new site of the university to the architect Giulio Cesare.
The building was then tranformed at the end of the 18th century into the “Real Museo” by the architect Pompeo Schiantarelli which held the collections of relics from Ercolano, Pompei and Stabia. In fact, Ferdinando IV of Borbone also moved the art gallery of Capodimonte and collections from the royal villa of Portici and the Cardinal Stefano Borgia.
In 1957, (after the Borbonian library was moved into the Palazzo Reale and entitled to Vittorio Emanuele II, the art gallery in the Palazzo di Capodimonte) the museum had been destined to the collections of antiquity.
The first railway station of Naples and Italy was constructed in 1836 under the order of Ferdinando II of Borbone nearby the current site of the Station Circumvesuviana. In the year 1866 the station was already moved to its current site, and immediately the station set itself up as the center of life, movement, and business affairs in the city of Naples. Born from the design of the architect and town planner Enrico Alvino in the environment of one study for the reorganization of the fabric of the town, the station became the pivotal location for the entire surrounding area.
Originally, the station consisted of three hinged-together pavilions: the ticket counter in the middle and on either side was the baggage drop off and bar. The inside structure was in the form of star and was surrounded by a garden. With a progressive expansion of traffic determined the necessity of taking another look at the location of the station and to designate ampler spaces for the circulation of the surrounding area.
Between the years 1954 and 1960, the 18th century station was demolished to make the 250 meters worth of space needed for the new travel center that now defines the current arrangement of Piazza Garibaldi. The blueprints of the station (a fusion of three different winning designs from a competition in 1954) are today characterized from a particular structural conception and modeled on a triangular matrix.
San Domenico Maggiore, chiesa e piazza
The support of the Angioini and other various dynasties permitted to the Dominicans to carry out, with continuous renovations, one of the most complex, vast and rich of the monasteries of the city, and also the residence of the first university of Naples.
The inside contains three naves that take back the typical gothic style that are present in other churches by the Angioini. But the classic spaciousness is a result dramatic change from the 19th century restoration (1850-53) by Federico Travaglini, the man who proposes a neo-gothic taste that was very widespread in Europe those years. Then a transformation of the roof followed by a gilded covering of the arches and the capitals obtained an appearance far away from any gothic characteristic.
The chapel Brancaccio deserves a particular attention. The frescoes by Pietro Cavallini (1309) give the idea of a church of the 14th century.
In the chapel of the crucifix, Christ spoke with St. Thomas of Aquino according to tradition.
In the sacristy, there are 45 coffins containing the remains of the Aragonian kings, and people such as Don Ferrante d’Avalos, husband of Vittoria Colonna, who won and captured Francesco I of Valois in Pavia. The church kept, up until a few years ago, the famous Flagellazione del Caravaggio (The Flogging of Caravaggio). Today it is in Capodimonte, but one can still see the copy of the painting by the celebrated Andrea Vaccaro.
At the famous piazza are formed the Five: the apse of the church, the palaces of the Petruccis (with catalana stairs), Casacalendo (a work by Vanvitelli and Gioffredo), Corigliano and de Sangro. At the center of the piazza rises up the guglia of marble erected after the plague of 1656 designed by Francesco Antonio Picchiatti and finished in 1737 by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro.
Chiesa del Carmine e Piazza Mercato
It dominates the zone that was the battlegrounds of the Revolution of Masaniello (1647). It already existed in the 12th century as a little church with the image of the Madonna called “La Bruna.” It was redone between the years of 1283 and 1300 with the money that the Queen Elisabetta of Baviera had given for the redemption of her son, Corradino of Svevia. Unfortunately the young prince had already been judged in the Piazza Mercato and the money was destined to go to the expansion of the church that holds his tomb.
To the right of the façade is the nimble bell with a singular cusp of tiled majolica from Fra’ Nuvolo (the first half of 17th century). Every year on the 15th of July, the anniversary of the Madonna of Carmine, one can see the bell lit up with fireworks.
page 1 of 3 >