Grand Hotel Europa: Sites touristiques
Reachable by the Metropolitana Line 2
The building that currently houses the museum first started out as a riding school in 1586. Then in 1612, Don Pedro Fernando de Castro, viceroy of Naples, gave the responsibility of designing the new site of the university to the architect Giulio Cesare.
The building was then tranformed at the end of the 18th century into the “Real Museo” by the architect Pompeo Schiantarelli which held the collections of relics from Ercolano, Pompei and Stabia. In fact, Ferdinando IV of Borbone also moved the art gallery of Capodimonte and collections from the royal villa of Portici and the Cardinal Stefano Borgia.
In 1957, (after the Borbonian library was moved into the Palazzo Reale and entitled to Vittorio Emanuele II, the art gallery in the Palazzo di Capodimonte) the museum had been destined to the collections of antiquity.
Centro Direzionale di Napoli
The project, approved in 1983 and realized by the Japanese engineer Kenzo Tange, sees the division in two distinct levels: vehicle traffic and pedestrian traffic. The first level concentrates in the underground level where you can also find parking, while the spacious streets up above are reserved exclusively for pedestrians. The area is divided into eighteen islands and the constructions are classified into two categories: walk-ways and towers.
Actually, the erection of the center is only 50% complete, to a limited extent of the western half of the project, but the plans for the continuation of the project are in progress.
The first railway station of Naples and Italy was constructed in 1836 under the order of Ferdinando II of Borbone nearby the current site of the Station Circumvesuviana. In the year 1866 the station was already moved to its current site, and immediately the station set itself up as the center of life, movement, and business affairs in the city of Naples. Born from the design of the architect and town planner Enrico Alvino in the environment of one study for the reorganization of the fabric of the town, the station became the pivotal location for the entire surrounding area.
Originally, the station consisted of three hinged-together pavilions: the ticket counter in the middle and on either side was the baggage drop off and bar. The inside structure was in the form of star and was surrounded by a garden. With a progressive expansion of traffic determined the necessity of taking another look at the location of the station and to designate ampler spaces for the circulation of the surrounding area.
Between the years 1954 and 1960, the 18th century station was demolished to make the 250 meters worth of space needed for the new travel center that now defines the current arrangement of Piazza Garibaldi. The blueprints of the station (a fusion of three different winning designs from a competition in 1954) are today characterized from a particular structural conception and modeled on a triangular matrix.
Duomo e Cappella del Tesoro di San Gennaro
The cathedral of Naples was built under the order of Carlo I of Angiò and was completed by Roberto d’Angiò. Often restored, it presents notable layers of different styles. The neogothic style, remade by Enrico Alvino at the end of the 1800’s, is represented by its current façade. The gothic entrance from 1407 by Tino di Camiano preserves the gothic entrance. The two lateral entrances are both done in the late gothic style.
Also of great interest is the baptismal font made of precious Egyptian marble.
The long walls of the central nave show the paintings of Luca Giordano; the lateral chapels contain works by Vaccaro, Perugino, Falcone, and Solimena. In the other parts of the gallery, there is the Cappella Minutolo with frescoes from the 1200s, and the Cappella Tocco with a fresco by Pietro Cavallini. A real jewel of the Renaissance is the so-called bones of San Gennaro wanted by the Cardinal Oliviero Carafa.
The Cappella del Tesoro (The Chapel of Treasure), voted by the Neapolitans as the patron saint because of the plague in 1526, is a baroque work by the architect Grimaldi. The entrance gate was made by Cosimo Fanzago. The chapel is covered by a dome with a fresco by Lanfranco. The inside of the chapel is the result of the best 17th century Neapolitan. The 51 silver statues of the compatroni of Naples are taken out in procession on the first Saturday of May as a “sacra scorta” (sacred glimpse) at San Gennaro’s beautiful things. The treasure consists of the very precious gifts of reigning Neapolitans and Europeans and the silver “mitra” of 1713 studded with diamonds, emeralds and rubies.
Also the flasks of San Gennaro’s blood and his skull are conserved in the Chapel. The blood liquefies twice a year, in May and then in September, renewing a wonder that has stumped scientists all over the world.
From the left nave, one can descend into the paleochristian Basilica of the Santa Restituta erected in the fourth century. Connected to the Basilica is the paleochristian baptistery of San Giovanni in Fonte (363-409 A.D.), the oldest of the west because the Laterano is behind by around 30 years.
page 1 de 2 >